Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/ammosvot/public_html/wp-content/themes/photon-a13/advance/meta.php on line 239
Ηoly Monastery of our Lady of Elona | Ammos & Votsalo Apartmens

Ηoly Monastery of our Lady of Elona

One of the most famous monasteries of the region dedicated to the Theotokos (Mary, Mother of God). It is believed that the icon of the Virgin Mary of Elona that is kept there is one of the 70 drawn by the Apostle Luke. Many holy relics, including votive offerings made by people comprise the monastery treasures.

Founders and the first monks of the Abbey were Kallinikos and Dositheos, later slaughtered by the Turks. The monastery was built in the 16th century, while the main temple was erected in 1809 and the bell tower in 1831. The iconostasis itself is of exceptionally fine workmanship; a wonderful example of Holy Art. The icons on it are works of art of great painters. The monastery was set on fire during the Turkish rule and was looted numerous times. It played an important role in the Revolution of 1821, as other monasteries did.

The view of the monastery takes one’s breath away. It is miraculously suspended above the chaos below, overlooking the gorge formed by the Daphnonas River. Above it red cliffs rise up steeply, as if trying to protect it. The icon of the Panagia Elona (Virgin Mary) is put on display in a popular pilgrimage on November 21, during the celebration of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. All celebrations of the Holy Virgin Mary attract many pilgrims to the monastery, including the celebration of the Assumption on the 15th of August.

Route

Distance (Starting Point – Plaka) : 20 KM
Trip Duration (Average Speed) : 40 MINUTES